Monday, January 22, 2007

Clouds and Sunshine

I signed “Bye” as a chat session with my friend Patricia ended. Tears blurred my eyes as I thought about their family and the devastating news that her nephew had been killed in Iraq the previous day. I prayed that God would give them courage and strength to get through the next days, weeks, months and even years as they dealt with this loss. She had told me that he came from a family of strong Faith. That would give them the ability to go on and hope for the future. But in the meantime, I’m sure darkness surrounded them, questions flooded their minds, and sadness dominated their lives.

“O Father, draw near to each one who is touched by this tragedy and the families and friends of the other young men who also lost their lives,” I prayed. It seemed so senseless and sad.

Opening the blinds by my desk, I looked out at a sky lightly touched by the rising sun. In this country, Ukraine, we were establishing a home and ministry. Sometimes it seemed very dark as well. The son of a friend at home struggled with suicidal thoughts and depression. Other friends faced health issues, fears, and numerous difficulties. To dwell on these would only deepen the depression that lurked around the borders of my mind.

I glanced again at the sky before me. Threatening dark, charcoal-grey clouds floated by. Soon I saw a slight change. A slight thread of pink could be seen on the edges. I watched fascinated as pastel color turned to brilliant hues. Bright fuchsia edges grew wider as the sunrays touched them. Before my eyes, the underbelly of the clouds also turned vibrant pink. The grey was still there but transformed from threatening to beautiful. The pink changed to golden hues and soon the whole sky outside my window glowed. I watched this display of grandeur with awe while praising God who had sent it. Eventually the sun appeared in all its glory and blue patches grew wider.

I don’t know when it was that I realized the clouds were no longer dominating the sky. They were no longer grey and threatening, now only white wisps of beauty in the sky. I knew instinctively that God had a message for all of us. The message: The promise of hope, of a bright future, of joy and laughter once again. Life will not always be dark and bleak. The beautiful lightshow in the morning sky spoke to my heart. Without the dark clouds, the day would have begun like any other. The magnificence that I observed would not have been. For it is through the dark times in our lives that God can shine and fill us with the brilliant colors of His love.

Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning.
Psalm 30:5 NLT

4 Comments:

At 4:44 AM, Blogger Mary said...

I am so glad you are writing again on your blog. I hurt for that family also. Keep doing your good work, Mary

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Amber said...

hi Vikie,

this is Amber from the South Hill SDA church and i thought i would check out both your website and your blog and what your doing in my opinion is amazing...i want so bad to be able to come over to ukraine and help do whatever and i am starting a letter for fundraising and donations today...i appreciate what you are doing and the reason you are doing it and i hope to see you soon

God Bless
Amber Davis

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

Hi Amber: I am looking forward to having you come and spend time with us whenever it works out. God bless your efforts and I enjoyed meeting you. Vicki

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger The Mrs & Mommy said...

Amber Davis, we need to get in touch... we're also trying to go over there on from Ellensburg...anyway
Hi Vickie, It's encouraging reading your words even though you may or may not think they are depressing thoughts.
just though I'd start s blog...it has pictures of the wedding on it.
http://lessigspot.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home